Monday, November 26, 2012

Carb Bombs and Kettles

I've never met a carb I didn't like.

In fact, it had always been a bit of a fixation for me, to have a satisfyingly large amount of carbs, as vegetarianism could support a higher incidence of these lovely beauties in my diet. My folly, however, is in thinking that this idea were actually true...and in particular, the ones I wanted to eat. Nice try, brain.

The fun fact about refined flours and added sugars is that they blow you up like a puffer fish, or the Stay Puft Marshmallow man. (That dude is so famous every year come Thanksgiving.) Add long works at work, staying out late, possibly drinking and not getting enough sleep, and you've talked yourself out of a workout, most possibly. And the fun part is that the addition of the heavier, dense, fatty sugary floury carbs make you feel like a brick sinking to the bottom of the ocean. What they do for your digestion is stall it, altogether.

Every non-vegetarian thinks you want one more carb-ridden food, since you don't eat meat. Well it's not true....but I oblige anyway. After my day of eating, my face felt numb and my body very sluggish. In short, it wasn't really working for me to enjoy this way of doing things. But I still dragged myself to the gym, an accomplishment I can say I am very proud of. But when I got there and started doing my thing, I thought I was going to die...but I persevered.

I realized how fabulous I had gotten at eating the right foods at the right time and lessening the incidence of foods that don't fit into a healthy day's worth of eating. When it comes to feeling good, and you've learned the difference between feeling good, looking fit, and achieving your fitness goals, it becomes an automatic choice to do the right thing. That way you can avoid another carb bomb from destroying several days at the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment